Veterans Day will fall on Monday, November 11, this year. To honor the veterans in the state, Missouri’s Governor Mike Parson will be participating in numerous Veterans Day events this weekend as Missouri honors veterans this Veterans Day weekend.
Honor the Veterans
Veterans Day, formerly known as Armistice Day- created to celebrate and honor the end of World War I, is a day that we now take to honor those who have or are currently serving in the United States Armed Forces.
Although Veterans Day is a good day to take a moment to thank veterans for their service, you can always thank veterans on any day of the year. Saying “Thank you for your service,” or “I hope you have a meaningful day” can help you to show your appreciation towards military members this Veterans Day.
Missouri houses over 480,000 veterans and even if you don’t know any personally, it’s fine to thank a stranger for their service.
“This Veterans Day weekend, let us take the time to honor the service, sacrifice, and courage of our veterans. America owes a debt of gratitude to all service members, and while we can never repay the sacrifices they have made, we can honor them by continuing to recognize their service and commitment to our country,” Governor Parson said. “Having spent six years in the Army, I encourage everyone to thank our veterans and active military – not only this weekend but throughout the year. Thanks to their sacrifice, we are here today.” 
As we honor our veterans for their service this weekend, I’d like to commend the partnerships, programs, and resources our state offers veterans. We’re proud of the great work of our agencies to support those who have served our country. #VeteransDay
— Governor Mike Parson (@GovParsonMO) November 8, 2019
Parson will be participating in several events this Veterans Day weekend, including:
- On November 8, Governor Parson will speak at Veterans Day events at Sparta High School and Bolivar Middle School.
- Monday, November 11, he will attend the Branson Veterans Day Parade.
- Thursday, November 14, Governor Parson will speak at the Hiring Our Heroes Fellowship Graduation Ceremony.
- Saturday, November 16, Governor Parson will attend Whiteman Day and the Mizzou versus Florida Military Appreciation Day game.
- Parson will also speak at the National Stars and Stripes Museum’s Inaugural Spirit of Democracy event on Saturday evening.
We’re proud of the great work of our agencies to support those who have served our country, and we will continue working to make Missouri the most military and veteran-friendly state in the nation,” said Parson
- ^“Governor Parson Encourages Missourians to Honor Service Members on Veterans Day, Highlights State Resources for Missouri Veterans | Governor Michael L. Parson.” 8 Nov. 2019, governor.mo.gov/press-releases/archive/governor-parson-encourages-missourians-honor-service-members-veterans-day. (go back↩)